Sunday, September 12, 2010

Good Surprises!

Life is full of surprises. I like surprises but it's hard to surprise me. My analytic brain picks up on little things and I usually figure things out even when I don't want to. It does challenge me though to put a considerable amount of thought into the surprises I give to other people.

I have told Tommie that she does not need and can not have a cell phone until she starts Junior High. She's a really great kid, she rarely asked for one. But I would like her to have one in the event I ever become employed. I thought it would be a big surprise for her birthday and I put it in a huge box filled with peanuts and wrapped it. While she unwrapped it, I called it. I thought she'd know immediately what it was and go ballistic on the box but I forgot ring tones are not universal and I think she dared not to hope. With extreme puzzlement she dug and dug as I continued to call it. Daddy ruined my fun though and encouraged her to dump out the peanuts. When she finally found it, there was a look of sheer amazement on her face and I got to be the hero, if only for a minute. It's those brief minutes of appreciation and the few times when the kids actually make the right choices that give me a sense of gratification. Yeah! Here's to the tough times of parenting, it can be worth it!

2 comments:

tracy said...

Oh what a fun way to surprise her! Love the huge box idea and the ringing... I could almost picture it as I read it. So fun! I have got to see that girl and her new "do"! And you as well, before I forget what you look like. ;)

LordxRaven said...

An alytic brain is realy nice, but if you are tired and cranky and a passanger in you girlfriends car and she don't drive the logic way and you are trying to give her advice (over and over again, and you know you are right!), its no good idea! Back to the gift, I love IT! Damn I am so contrary of soiber :-D . We hat cider (without alcohol, don't know the english word for it) but after two days it became "Federweißer" (freshly made wine" and my girlfriend needs the container for an another sort of wine and she told me to decanting the "Federweißer" and I took a look at it and said its only two glasses. And I have to say after three days of ferment, those to glases ( 6.76280454 ounces each <- damn you alytic brain) are realy heavy. SO it was your brithday and you didn't wrote about it :-P Now I watch some more "White Collar", of coarse in english cause its not running in Germany ;-)